• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UTMA Question Regarding Custodian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


New member
I recently found out about a UTMA account that my grandmother, also the custodian, opened for me when I was a minor. I am now 34 years old and she is just now telling me of the account because she wants me to sign it over to her. We are not on good terms and she is now accounting for favors or gifts she had given/done for me in the past and is nickle and diming the money in the account. Question one is can she do this? These were gifts done after I had already hit the legal age of majority of the account and second question is what is the process to get a court order to remove her as the custodian? The account is with Fidelity and they will not budge on the rule that I need her signature to become the owner of the account. If I take her to court can she bring up past purchases even though money has never withdrawn from the account to show she was reimbursing herself? I am in Arizona, Thank you.


Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have an attorney draw up and send a demand letter to Fidelity. If that does not work, a lawsuit may be required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential