• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA child support enforcement system

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shella677

My husband and his ex only have a divorce decree that stated the amount of child support he owes monthly for their 2 children. this has worked for 8 yrs. The ex has been constantly nagging for more money, we now get a notice from VA division of child support that she has opened a case. How does the dcse figure the child support amount? We have received no notice asking for W2 or custody schedule or insurance premiums. Only a notice to stop making payments directly to her and send payments to the state. I'm assuming a modification request is coming next?

PayrollHRGuy

Only a notice to stop making payments directly to her and send payments to the state. I'm assuming a modification request is coming next?
Not necessarily, the ex-wife may well have applied for some government assistance and the state is requiring payments through the OCSE.

But here is an online calculator https://www.vasupportcalc.com/child-support-calculators/

And a link to the law. https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title20/chapter6/section20-108.2/ that has the charts. If there is a difference between what the calculator says and the law. Believe the law.

Shella677

Ok, thanks. I've ran into those sites as well. I just thought it was strange that it said to make payments directly to the state effective immediately but no where does it say an amount.

PayrollHRGuy

That is unusual. But just make sure your husband as a copy of the decree stating how much is to be paid should they ask.

Shella677

Today we were able to access the account online , and it states the correct monthly amount but it shows October is in arrears, we paid October directly to her. We're did not get notice to stop paying her until Nov 1st. How hard is this to clear up?

Shella677

Today we were able to access the account online , and it states the correct monthly amount but it shows October is in arrears, we paid October directly to her. We're did not get notice to stop paying her until Nov 1st. How hard is this to clear up?
Paid directly to her via check like always

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">