• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA Landlord sent itemized bill & security deposit 53 days late - demands payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sbenderli

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My landlord sent an itemized bill and my security deposit 53 days after the termination of my lease. They returned my full security deposit of $300, but are demanding over $1000 for carpet replacement. They claim that they need to replace the whole carpeting (2 floors) due to pet pee stains on the top floor, which I think is ridiculous so I am refusing to pay, and they are suing me.

Do I have any legal course of action, especially because they sent my itemized bill and security deposit so late?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

My landlord sent an itemized bill and my security deposit 53 days after the termination of my lease. They returned my full security deposit of $300, but are demanding over $1000 for carpet replacement. They claim that they need to replace the whole carpeting (2 floors) due to pet pee stains on the top floor, which I think is ridiculous so I am refusing to pay, and they are suing me.

Do I have any legal course of action, especially because they sent my itemized bill and security deposit so late?
That is interesting...why would a landlord return your security deposit and then turn around and ask you for money for repairs? That does not make sense. How old do you think that the carpeting was?

sbenderli

That is interesting...why would a landlord return your security deposit and then turn around and ask you for money for repairs? That does not make sense. How old do you think that the carpeting was?
I don't know why they gave it back. I always thought it was odd that the security deposit was only $300, while monthly rent was $1995.

The carpeting was new when I moved in, and I moved out about 9 months later, so the carpeting was new. But, they informed me of this 53 days after lease termination, as far as I know, law requires them to inform me within 14 days of charges, and return my security deposit within 45 days. Do you think this would hold up in court?

LdiJ

I don't know why they gave it back. I always thought it was odd that the security deposit was only $300, while monthly rent was $1995.

The carpeting was new when I moved in, and I moved out about 9 months later, so the carpeting was new. But, they informed me of this 53 days after lease termination, as far as I know, law requires them to inform me within 14 days of charges, and return my security deposit within 45 days. Do you think this would hold up in court?
I am not sure, but 1000.00 for carpeting for even one story of a two story home is pretty inexpensive, when the carpet was only 9 months old when you moved out. You should probably do a cost analysis of paying for the carpet vs what could happen if you lose a small claims case.

sbenderli

I am not sure, but 1000.00 for carpeting for even one story of a two story home is pretty inexpensive, when the carpet was only 9 months old when you moved out. You should probably do a cost analysis of paying for the carpet vs what could happen if you lose a small claims case.
At this point, it is personal. I've been repeatedly ignored by these people who refuse to answer all of my questions regarding the damages. I'm not convinced that it is normal wear and tear, and I was not even given the right to be on sight during final inspection. They are demanding the full replacement cost, plus %6 interest, plus lawyer fees.

LdiJ

At this point, it is personal. I've been repeatedly ignored by these people who refuse to answer all of my questions regarding the damages. I'm not convinced that it is normal wear and tear, and I was not even given the right to be on sight during final inspection. They are demanding the full replacement cost, plus %6 interest, plus lawyer fees.
Of course you are free to make that decision. However, there is a chance that you are going to end up spending more money than you realize.

sbenderli

Of course you are free to make that decision. However, there is a chance that you are going to end up spending more money than you realize.
:) I know, and you are probably right. I'll see if I can get them to talk and answer my questions. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">