• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Va. property tax

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Ca.
Today, I received a registered letter from the County Assessment office of Va. stating that I owe property taxes for two vehicles from 1997 & 1998. Owed taxes include penalty fees totaling over $1500. The letter cited a name and phone number to call which I did, got a recording so I left my name, phone number and a brief explaination that I do not owe the taxes because I moved back to Ca. in January 1997. I followed up with a registered letter and provided a copy of my job's transfer papers which stated the reporting date of January 1997. I've since retired and probably won't be able to get any official verification. I don't like the feel of this, what else should I do?


Senior Member
Send copies of your CA registrations. If they don't indicate when the cars were first licensed, ask the registration person to add that information. You might also send a copy of any inspection reports you had to get to register the cars. I know in Washington, I had to have a State trooper verify my VINs.

Did you register to vote? That indicates a definite change in residence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential