• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacant home insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gracemarie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

We will be moving and leaving this home vacant and on the market. Do we have to notify our agent that the house is vacant. We will be turning off water, setting alarm, neighbors will check on a daily basis and we will be coming back at least weekly. From what I understand vacant ins. is costly and not full coverage or the other hand if there is an issue and the house was vacant, there may not be coverage?

moburkes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

We will be moving and leaving this home vacant and on the market. Do we have to notify our agent that the house is vacant. We will be turning off water, setting alarm, neighbors will check on a daily basis and we will be coming back at least weekly. From what I understand vacant ins. is costly and not full coverage or the other hand if there is an issue and the house was vacant, there may not be coverage?
Of course you do. They won't pay a claim if the home has been vacant more than 30 days at the time of loss. You can either pay for the proper policy which WILL pay a claim for covered perils, or not. If you're turning off utilities you're expecting your home to sell before winter, right? Are you winterizing your home?

What type of answer are you expecting?

tammy8

And be aware that most companies are sending out inspectors left and right to check occupany of homes due to the many foreclosures.

JustAPal00

And be aware that most companies are sending out inspectors left and right to check occupany of homes due to the many foreclosures.
That's what I do for a living! First thing to check if a home appears to be vacant is the electric meter. If it's not moving, it's vacant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">