• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation benefits changed without my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chipko1

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I am in a retail job in New Jersey, where I was at full time status for over a year. I earned 80 hours (equivalent to two weeks) of vacation time. In June, six months into my new benefits calendar year, and before I took the vacation time, I chose to go down to part time. After I did, I was told my vacation hours went from 80 to 43 (the NEW equivalent of two weeks), and that they are now pro-rated based on my new part time hours. While there is information about vacation hours being based on your employment status, I can't find anything in the one handbook I was given upon employment that talks about CHANGING your status and its effect on vacation benefits. Possibly more importantly, my manager did not tell me this before allowing me to go to part time. Is there anything I can do? If the policy does exist somewhere, is there any recourse if a manager doesn't inform you of it?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">