• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FilmFemme

What is the name of your state? California

I use to work for my present company as a freelance employee, when I agreed to go fulltime I was told that my vacation and sick time would acrue from the point of hire, that my time as a freelance employee would be considered my introduction period. I was hired Freelance in Apri l2005, and started fulltime Employment in September 2005. Recently my work, has fired HR and the general manager. The new HR person is not willing to fulfill this agreement. Now, I am not the only person that was told this. There at least 5 other people this effects. A new girl who was freelance and went full time was told the same by the General Manager and Operations Manager. When I brought this up to the Operations Manager he said their must be some sort of confusion. Now this was a verbal contract, and according to the previous HR person that the company was aware of this.

Beth3

In other words, the prior HR person agreed to "back date" your date of hire to include the period of time that you worked as an independent contractor to the company. I'm not surprised that the new HR manager and GM are unwilling to go along with that. I can think of a number of legal complications this would cause for the company, particularly regarding compliance with their defined benefit plans (group health, retirement, etc.) and payroll/withholding issues.

If you're asking whether you can force the employer to agree to the terms extended by the terminated HR Manager, the answer is no. What the prior HR Manager did was inappropriate and there's obviously a reason she was fired.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">