• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Days - Obliged to repay?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChevyRacer99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I have been with my current company for 4 months. My offer letter (the only document I signed, other than the normal Gov't Tax and ID forms) stated that I was entitled to 8 Days of vacation after six months. Walking in the door, I had arranged for two days to be used after being there for just over 1 month - for a predetermined family event. Since then I have used 2 sick days (for my daughter, probably not relevant) and have been a model employee otherwise. For reasons not pertinent to this question, I am looking for new employment. My question is... If I resign and I have not fulfilled the 6 month term will I be entitled to pay the company back for the 4 'vacation' days that have been used? I have not filled out any requests, etc. for the days and have signed nothing concerning these days; all agreements were verbal and I have since recieved paychecks in full. Please advise.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's not really a question we can answer. We have no way of knowing what your employer may or may not require. I believe California is the only state where the employer is prohibited by law from requiring the repayment of vacation time taken in excess of what is earned. I know that my state (which is almost as employee friendly as CA) does permit it and if my state allows it, it's pretty much a certainty that Ohio allows it. So it would not be a violation of the law for the employer to ask for it.

But it is not required that you repay it, either. Whether or not your employer will require it is an unknown.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">