• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation pay again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? Il

I was hired into a small company 6 months ago, and just recently was let go.

When I was hired both my boss(owner of the company) and I signed a mutual understanding agreement as to the terms and conditions of employment.

In this agreement it states quote
You will receive 3 weeks paid vacation per year based on your base salery.

It does not state anywhere if this can be saved or not.

When he terminated me he told me he would pay me to the end of the month. He did that, and nowwhere on the check stub or check did it say that this was a final payment to include vacation pay. I guess I assumend that being we had a written and signed agreement that I would be paid for vacation time also.

It does give a wrong pay period of from 1-06 to 1-10-05 but is in the correct amount to cover to the end of the month as he stated.

Am I entitled to this vacation pay also? and if so for what time period?
Would I also be entitled to last years 3 weeks? It does not state anywhere in the agreement weither I could carry it over or not, and I did not use any.

Thanks in advance


Senior Member
Short of a valid, enforceable contract (which a letter of understanding is not), it is unlikely that legally the employer would be required to pay any more vacation than you had actually earned (not a full year's benefit), so in your case, no more than 60 hours, assuming you had not taken any vacation during your term of employment. I believe Illinois does require accrued, untaken vacation at time of termination if the company policy states such.
Beth, cbg, Suz? Or you can contact the Illinois Dept. of Labor to inquire.


I'm a Northern Girl
For a definite answer to that you will have to show it to an attorney in your state. There isn't any way we can comment on the enforceability of an agreement we have not seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential