• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Pay Promised

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ryder3265

What is the name of your state? Texas

I realize that my employer is not obligated to give vacation or accrue for unused vacation; however, the company has operated on a policy of awarding a week's vacation after working for one year. After my one year was complete on July 13 I asked to use my vacation at the first of Aug. I was told this was not a good time and could I wait a couple of weeks. I agreed and then asked for my vacation again. My supervisor told me it would be fine and go ahead and take it. While on vacation, I had been offered a job by a company I had been talking to for months. I accepted the job and told them I would begin as soon as I spoke with my current employer. I asked my current employer how much notice he required since I had accepted a new job. He told me I could go that day or work until the end of the week. I went ahead and stayed for the week. On Friday when I was to get my pay, there was no deposit. When I inquired about my vacation pay, I was told by the clerk (my bosses sister) that even though I had my year complete, vacations are not available until January. I have never heard of the policy and why did my supervisor tell me to go? Is there anything I can do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not really.

I don't know whether your employer is just messing with you or if there really is such a policy that they assumed you knew about - it's not outside the realm of possibility that they thought you knew you couldn't get paid vacation till January and wanted to take unpaid time. But even if they're lying in their teeth about it, as you already know there is no statute requiring any kind of vacation payout in your state; in fact, in your state there is not even a statute, such as is found in some states, that requires an employer to follow their policy. What to do with vacation is entirely up to the employer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">