• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

richdad

My company is in Massachusettes. One of my employees quit by not showing up to work, he gave no notice, no reason, just didnt come in. When he came to pick up his check he told us he wants a weeks vacation pay, an i legally obligated to pay him this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Under Massachusetts law, you are required to pay him any and all vacation time that he has actually accrued on the last day he works. If he has a week's time accrued, then yes, you legally have to pay it to him, regardless of the reasons of his termination. If he does not have a week's time accrued, then you don't. You don't have to pay him what he would have accrued over the remainder of the year, only what he has accrued up to now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">