• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AnnaSC

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My husband recently went back to a prior job under the guise of re-instatement as if he had not left. This meant that he also got put back at his seniority with his vacation status. He had intended to take this time in July-our anniversary-but was told that this was not possible, so we delayed vacation until November. My husband asked if he could get his vacation pay now and just take a week with no pay in November so that we could pay off some medical bills incurred from his absence from work and to pay for the vacation we were planning. His employer told him that under South Carolina Labor Laws that he could not receive vacation pay until he actually took the time off. I know that my company allows vacation cash-ins, so I don't see how that could be a Labor Law. Any thoughts on our standing to get the pay early? This is an extrememly small company that had no true 'contract' for hiring.
Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have no legal standing to get the pay early.

While I doubt that there is actually a law prohibiting them from giving you the cash before you take the vacation, there is also nothing in the law that compels them to allow you to take it early, either. If your employer does not want to pay him early and let him take the time in November unpaid, he doesn't have to.

Sockeye

cbg said:
You have no legal standing to get the pay early.

While I doubt that there is actually a law prohibiting them from giving you the cash before you take the vacation, there is also nothing in the law that compels them to allow you to take it early, either. If your employer does not want to pay him early and let him take the time in November unpaid, he doesn't have to.
Can I cash in my Holiday Pay? ;) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">