• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coolmom1260

What is the name of your state? work in New Jersey

I know New Jersey does not by law have to pay accrued vacation time in the final paycheck, however, my company has a history of doing so. Does the law require them to be consistant? In other words, if they pay one person accrued vacation time upon resignation, do they have to pay them all. If so, and they didn't pay me, would I have to prove that many other former employees were paid or does the employer have to prove that they weren't.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Depends. Can you show that EVERYONE has always received it, or only some? It's perfectly legal if they want to pay it out to only employees who fit a certain criteria, such as, only employees who have been there for three years or more, or, only employees who have given two weeks notice or more. It's also possible that they have decided to change the policy across the board and you just happen to be the first one under the new policy.

All you can do is call the state DOL and see what they say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">