• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vacation payout in maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul Styslinger

What is the name of your state? I live and pay taxes in maryland

Do companies have to pay out vacation at termination. If Maryland allows companies NOT to pay out vacation if a 'clear' policy exists, what constitiutes clear. My company apparently changed policy in October of 2004. I'm being told that an e-mail was sent out and I have asked for the e-mail. All the other employees I have spoken were not aware of the policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In Maryland, an employer does not have to pay out vacation time at termination IF there is a clear policy to that effect AND IF it was communicated to the employees beforehand. If your employer is unable to provide a copy of the e-mail and proof that it was communicated to you in advance, chances are that they will have to pay it out. If they fail to do so, contact the MD DOL.

sandycheetah

cbg said:
In Maryland, an employer does not have to pay out vacation time at termination IF there is a clear policy to that effect AND IF it was communicated to the employees beforehand. If your employer is unable to provide a copy of the e-mail and proof that it was communicated to you in advance, chances are that they will have to pay it out. If they fail to do so, contact the MD DOL.
I resigned from my position today and during the exit interview, an hour before the end of my day, they informed me that they do not payout vacation to employees who have been employed for less than a year. I was not aware of this.
The HR person told me that it was in our handbook. When I got back to my desk, I looked up the policy online, and under Vacation, this is the only mention of payout:
"Employees who leave (Name of Company) will be paid for earned, unused vacation. This provision may be modified according to state or local law."
And that's it, in my offer letter, they tell me that I will accrue 6.67 days of vacation or 2 weeks per year. There is no mention of the Under Year policy. What do you think about that?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think two things.

1.) If there is no provision in the handbook for them to withhold vacation payout to employees who have been there less than a year, they will likely have to pay it anyway. However, you should look at the handbook YOU WERE GIVEN at the time you were hired, not what the on-line handbook says.

2.) On this site and on many others, it is considered rude to hijack your question onto someone else's thread no matter how close the topic. Next time, please start your own thread.

I

itsacatsworld

Youll need to buy lottery tickets to maybe recoup your vacation pay.

sandycheetah

My Apologies.

I'm sorry for hijacking the post. This my first time at posting on a message board. That will not happen again.

I just wanted to let you know that I followed your advice, sent an email to my HR contact Wednesday and this morning at 10, I received a call letting me know that they have decided to award me my remaining vacation hours.

So thank you, I really appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">