• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Payout Upon Willful Termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

les324

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Minnesota

I just switched jobs and provided a full 2 weeks notice to my employer. I was told by my direct supervisor that I would receive payout for unused vacation time. Now the company is refusing to pay. Is vacation payout required in the state of MN?

Beth3

It's up to the employer. MN only requires the employer to pay out vacation upon separation if the employer has a policy of doing so.

Mr_Natural

I have the same issue in Georgia

I gave my employer (in Georgia) a 2 weeks notice of my resignation. The only difference is they never agreed to pay me for unused vacation. They didn't. Any recourse?

Last edited:

Beth3

Georgia has no statute at all on this. Consequently the employer can do anything they want to.

Beth3

P.S. to less324. In the future, the phrase you want to use is "voluntary resignation," not "willful termination." If you use the latter when filling out an application form or such, somebody is going to misconstrue that to mean you were fired for misconduct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">