• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation plans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The emergency is that it’s a week away. And plans have already been made.
That is not an emergency. An emergency is something that could cause immediate harm to the child if not corrected. Being inconvenienced does not make an emergency.

Boaterguy

That is not an emergency. An emergency is something that could cause immediate harm to the child if not corrected. Being inconvenienced does not make an emergency.
Fair enough. I was told to file for emergency. To get it moved up in time frame. But that makes sense.

Boaterguy

I asked at the court. And where you file. They suggested maybe that was the best way to move it up. Maybe that was not the best move??? My lawyer is on vacation this week. So got no help there.

Just Blue

I asked at the court. And where you file. They suggested maybe that was the best way to move it up. Maybe that was not the best move??? My lawyer is on vacation this week. So got no help there.
Was the person you asked an attorney? or just a clerk? Security?

Boaterguy

Was the person you asked an attorney? or just a clerk? Security?
Not an attorney. Clerk to be exact. I was just trying to find a way to get it done in time. This may have not been the best way to go about it. I see that. Other then the plans have been made. There are a lot of moving parts to it. Can I claim she is being irrational. And not acting in the best interest of the kids???

Zigner

Not an attorney. Clerk to be exact. I was just trying to find a way to get it done in time. This may have not been the best way to go about it. I see that. Other then the plans have been made. There are a lot of moving parts to it. Can I claim she is being irrational. And not acting in the best interest of the kids???
What is the imminent harm?

Boaterguy

What is the imminent harm?
I guess there is none. So maybe I am just up a creek then. And the judge will tell me that? In my head. At the time. The emergency was that I had very little time to get this done. And all the plans were set. Months in advance. I see what you are saying.

Boaterguy

I guess there is none. So maybe I am just up a creek then. And the judge will tell me that? In my head. At the time. The emergency was that I had very little time to get this done. And all the plans were set. Months in advance. I see what you are saying.
What would have been a better way to go about it?

Zigner

I just pulled out my file. It was petitioned for special relief
There is no threat of imminent harm to the child's well-being. This was NOT the proper avenue to take (in my opinion). In fact, filing in this manner is frivolous and could even subject you to sanctions, or, at the very least a stern talking-to by the judge.

Boaterguy

There is no threat of imminent harm to the child's well-being. This was NOT the proper avenue to take (in my opinion). In fact, filing in this manner is frivolous and could even subject you to sanctions, or, at the very least a stern talking-to by the judge.
Special relief? Isn’t that different from. Emergency?

Zigner

Special relief? Isn’t that different from. Emergency?
Read the content of the filing - that will tell you whether or not you claimed some emergency.

ETA: If you didn't request that the hearing be held on an emergency basis, then there's no way that it would take place prior to the vacation, so the question is moot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">