• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Time Accrual Stopped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Arjay

What is the name of your state? Texas
I understand that vacation benefits are not governed by fed or state laws and that any such benefit is a direct contract between the employer/employee.

I work for a national retailer who provides a Vacation Benefit to all employees after one year of employment. Eligiable employees can accrue a maximum of 80 hours in Vacation Pay. I reached the maximum 80 hours in January and have requested to take vacation on two seperate occassions (through proper procedures & channels) and have been denied both times by my immediate supervisor. I have now worked 5 months without accruing any vacation hours while during the same period, other employees have benefited from both Paid Vacation (Time Off) and Accrued Vaction Pay.

As the top performing employee in the store (sales/profit revenue), my taking a full week or two weeks of vacation will adveresly affect store sales performance and directly affect my immediate supervisor's earnings. However, my requests were to take only two vacation days off and for medical reasons. As stated earlier, those requests were denied.

Do I have any legal recourse at all?

pattytx

Nope. However, can you speak with the division or regional manager regarding the reinstatement of lost vacation? And maybe a cash-out of a portion of it? The employer can make an exception if they want to.

Arjay

Going to Regional Management is Assured Termination.

Thanks, but if I go above my Supervisor to his best friend, the Regional Manager, it will surely end in termination for me and I can't afford to be unemployed or uninsured right now due to sever illness in my immediate family. Once my family member gets better (or passes), I'll remedy the situation.

turbowray

just a question

it sounds like you are not getting your vacations because it would cause a hardship for your company...have you asked your boss if you can cash in those hours since you cant take a vacation,hence not going over his head but asking him if you can actually benefit financially from the aquired vacation hours since you cant take a vacation...the worst that could happen is he could say no.

turbowray

wow another question

can you be eligable for fmla leave and use the hours there? How long have you worked there and how many employees does this company have??

pattytx

OP, just in case you come back, FMLA is unpaid leave for your serious medical condition only if your absence exceeded 3 working days.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">