• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation Time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reklaw05

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I recently started with a company and was told by my manager that I would receive 5 vacation days for the first 6 months and 5 vacation days for the 2nd 6 months. If for some reason I were to leave, for example in the first 6 months, I would owe vacation time paid back to the company. I have not left the company. I started Jan 3 and have used 8 vacation days (it is now Sept 18). HR is stating that I will lose 3 of my vacation days next year because I have exceeded my amount of vacation days which were to be earned 5 days at a time only after completion of each 6 months.

My question is, if my manager admits to telling me that I did have this vacation time and could use it, why would I be the one penalized? Is this legal?

moburkes

Yes, this is legal. At most companies, vacation time is earned. You used 3 of your days before they were earned (Jan 2008). So, you can't then re-use them when January comes around.

reklaw05

:confused: But my manager told me I had this time available and I could use it. How can HR now take it away from me? I am still employeed there and plan to continue my employment. Technically, based on the days my manager said I have, I should be able to use 2 more days until 2008. HR is saying that I have to give back days.

Jan 2007 - June 2007 = 5 days
July 2007 - Dec 2007 = 5 days
I have only used 8 days.

HR is saying that I will be docked 3 days in 2008.

I don't understand how this is right.

moburkes

Jan 1 to June 30 = 5 days. Used up.
July 1 to Dec 31 = 5 days that you haven't yet earned. Yet you've used 3, that you won't earn until Jan. At that point you'll have 2 left.

What they're telling you is that, when you earn the additional 5 days, you've already used 3 of them.

Technically, your manager isn't responsible for knowing where you stand - you are. He made a mistake.

You're saying that you'll have 2 days left, but you haven't earned them. They won' be earned until the end of the year. You're working off the notion that you earned the first 5 when you started, when you, apparently, didn't earn them until you'd been there 6 months.

edit: That's why, you would owe money back to the company if you had quit before 6 months - because you would have used time that you'd hadn't yet earned.

Last edited:

reklaw05

Ok, I understand what you are saying and it does make sense. Thanks for the conversation. It kinda sucks rotten eggs, but does make sense. :(
Thanks again!

Betty

That's the way most companies do it. You have to work the time before you are entitled to the vacation. You didn't work the 6 add'l. mos. needed to get 5 more days of vacation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">