• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation time

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

In New Hampshire. My sons father has never taken his 7 day vacation time per year with our son. Our parenting plan has been in place since 2015. Does this change our 50/50 custody agreement since I now have more time with my son each year? I have always taken my vacation time granted every year.

LdiJ

In New Hampshire. My sons father has never taken his 7 day vacation time per year with our son. Our parenting plan has been in place since 2015. Does this change our 50/50 custody agreement since I now have more time with my son each year? I have always taken my vacation time granted every year.
Well, it would make a difference from an IRS standpoint, but other than that, its pretty immaterial. A judge certainly wouldn't take 50/50 away from dad over not taking 7 days of vacation.

Thank you for your response. I was more curious from a financial perspective. A co worker had asked me this about my situation and I was unsure myself of the answer.

Thank you. Again, was just curious to understand the laws better and how it works. Was not looking to pursue anything. It is obviously his loss of time with our son and my gain, so Im not complaining!

Just Blue

Thank you. Again, was just curious to understand the laws better and how it works. Was not looking to pursue anything. It is obviously his loss of time with our son and my gain, so Im not complaining!
What exactly were you trying to understand...You never actually asked.

To break it down easier, from my understanding, 50/50 custody is equal time spent with the child at hand for each parent during a yearly calendar. From what I understood from court in 2015, when the time with each parent is shifted due to a parent not taking their allotted time granted, then it is no longer an equal 50/50 time spent. Which then would change the financial standing for the other parent since they are now financially responsible for that child for a longer period of time than the other parent.

Again, a coworker had asked me about this since we were discussing the fact that my sons father does not take his vacation time with his son, therefore leaving me with extra financials spent for my son during the week his father should have him. I did not know the laws on this/the answer myself, so my question was does this change anything. Whether significant or not, I was curious to know the answer.

Just Blue

To break it down easier, from my understanding, 50/50 custody is equal time spent with the child at hand for each parent during a yearly calendar. From what I understood from court in 2015, when the time with each parent is shifted due to a parent not taking their allotted time granted, then it is no longer an equal 50/50 time spent. Which then would change the financial standing for the other parent since they are now financially responsible for that child for a longer period of time than the other parent.

Again, a coworker had asked me about this since we were discussing the fact that my sons father does not take his vacation time with his son, therefore leaving me with extra financials spent for my son during the week his father should have him. I did not know the laws on this/the answer myself, so my question was does this change anything. Whether significant or not, I was curious to know the answer.
Oh...Yeah...seven day would not be worth the time of money involved. You might get an extra few dollars per month in support (if any). Just not worth it.

LdiJ

The problem is, that the amount of time that dad is not taking is not enough to make any real difference. If he was only exercising every other weekend, when he was supposed to have every other week, then that would be a big difference. If he was taking 4 days out of 14 instead of 7 days out of 14 then that would be a big difference. Taking 176 days out of 365 instead of 182 days out of 365 is an itty bitty difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">