• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacation vs Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Outlook123

I had surgery on Nov 26th 2001, when the original paperwork was sent to the company it said I would be out 6-8 weeks. I have now been off work 5 weeks and learned I will be off two more weeks. The company I work for is telling me that I will now loose my vacation time since the New Year is starting. Is this lawful?
I am receiving short term disability and am willing to take the time with out pay, I just don't want to loose my vacation time due to future vacation plans made prior to the surgery. This was not a work injury.
Outlook123

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My understanding is that in Illinois, time already accrued cannot be lost. However, it will depend upon how your company accrues time. I don't believe they can be forced to let you accrue time while you are out, although I could be mistaken about that.

O

Outlook123

I have 3 weeks vacation yearly, starting on the 1st of the year.
example: Had I not been on leave, and wanted to take three weeks from Jan 1st to the 21st I could have done it with a 4 week notice

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Keeping in mind that I do not now, nor have I ever had, employees in Illinois, I believe that what they are doing is illegal under state law. For a definitive answer, contact the Illinois DOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">