• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vaccinations for immigration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clairehair

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My parents are both over 65 years old and according to the vaccination requirements guidelines for US immigrants their age excludes them from most of the vaccinations (They only need 3 ) One or two of the vaccinations needs to be given in 3 month increments or more than one is required to complete the course and they have no record of ever having received the varicella or the zoster which they will need. If they wait and receive the vaccinations at their immigration medical which might be wise because they are old enough for a Doctor to have to consider the safety of these vaccinations, will that delay their entry to the US because they need a course of vaccinations ? Do they have to wait until they are totally current before they are allowed to leave for the US or can they have their second stage of the vaccination in the US?

xylene

There is no safety issue with vaccines, unless they have a history of allergic reactions to the vaccine or there component ingredients, which would be waiverable.

clairehair

Misunderstood

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it ,however I think perhaps my question was misconstrued. Many vaccinations are contraindicated for anyone who has had Guillainbarre syndrome, cardiovascular disease and /or chronic or acute illness. Allergic reaction is just one aspect to be considered. As my parents are elderly and my Dad has a heart condition , the vaccinations they receive should be considered by a physician. If you look at the technical guidelines for vaccinations for immigration panel physicians you will note they are given age appropriately for both the young and the old and if you look at what is given to the over 65 year old immigrant, you will see it is not very many! My actual question was in regard to the vaccination they do need , which in order to be fully protected needs to be given twice with 3 months between each dose and because of this, would this delay entry to the US?. But I haven't had any answers to any of my questions , so I am thinking they are a bit complicated. I also mistyped I-864 and put I-874 which I am sure doesn't help.

NYImmLaw

Your parents must have at least the first round of vaccinations before they can apply for the visa. All the information that I have read indicates that they will NOT need to wait for the second round of vaccination shots before applying for the immigrant visa. But, to be sure your parents can contact the UK consulate for clarification.

Last edited:

evcalyptos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

My parents are both over 65 years old and according to the vaccination requirements guidelines for US immigrants their age excludes them from most of the vaccinations (They only need 3 ) One or two of the vaccinations needs to be given in 3 month increments or more than one is required to complete the course and they have no record of ever having received the varicella or the zoster which they will need. If they wait and receive the vaccinations at their immigration medical which might be wise because they are old enough for a Doctor to have to consider the safety of these vaccinations, will that delay their entry to the US because they need a course of vaccinations ? Do they have to wait until they are totally current before they are allowed to leave for the US or can they have their second stage of the vaccination in the US?
There's a varicella waiver for the UK because the vax is not available there.
For Immigrant Visas (what your folks are getting) the vaccines need to be completed before the visa is issued. You can read more from London here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/medexam.html

xylene

Guillainbarre syndrome, cardiovascular disease and /or chronic or acute illness. Allergic reaction is just one aspect to be considered.
The health issues you list are problems specific to people, not vaccines.

AND, if your parents have severe health problems that preclude them being vaccinated, this too is waiverable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">