• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

valid budget entry CH13 Qs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bombbat

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MA

I just got a fulltime job after consulting for 10 months, I have 55K in unsecured debt, or about one year current salary in debt from being layed off for 24 months before I got consulting work.

I am wondering if I can deposit into my 401K and put that on my budget? Or will the trustee want to take that. How much will they allow? i wasn't offered this benefit before because i was a consultant.

If the attorney I get will take payment can I put that on my budget?

I have about $400/month expendible, trying to get that down as low as possible. I want to add more items that will be allowed, will they allow cigarettes?

I saw a lawyer today and he said it is difficult to have wages garnished in MA, is this true?

Lady'n Red, Biggun please comment, suggestions, answers

bigun

They can garnish unless they sue and win. I've no idea how what sort of hoops a creditor will have to jump through to garnish but if state law allows, it's something to consider.
A payment to a 401K will be considered a preference payment and the trustee will disallow it as an expense. Paying a lawyer is an allowable expense but many won't file until they're paid in full. Plus, that will not be an ongoing expense.

Some trustees consider tobacco a luxury and disallow it. You need to ask your lawyer how that's handled in your district.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">