• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Van Repo (HELP!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

altieri1

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Due to me losing my job last year, my husband and I were not able to make our van payments of $567 per month. As a result, the van was repossessed. Friday, we received court documents stating we were being sued for the remainder of the money due after the van was auctioned. The amount is more than $15,000. I called the attorneys office to set up some type of payment plan, and was told the minimum amount that would be accepted is $630 per month. That is more than the van payment was! She also told me if we can't pay $630 per month, they can garnish 25% of our wages and freeze our bank accounts to pay the debt. I am working again, but I can't afford that monthly payment. What can I do? HELP!!

Ladynred

Did you get any papers after the van was auctioned stating what it was sold for and what you now owe ? Did you get any notice at all of the sale ?

They CAN get 25% of wages if they win the lawsuit and get a judgment. Was the van loan in BOTH names or just one of you ? If it was only in 1 name, then the other's wages can NOT be garnished.

You can still negotiate payments , hopefully something you CAN afford. If you don't have time before the court date, then you'll likely be sent out to try to negotiate before seeing a judge anyway. Make an offer, in writing, for what you can pay and if its agreed to, get them to sign it. Just make sure you get everything in writing or it means diddly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">