• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle abandonment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sara Hirt

I live in Overland Park Kansas and my boyfriend has abandoned his motorcycle in my walkout basement he has left it there since Labor Day weekend 2018. He had a title loan on it that he has defaulted on. I have contacted the title loan company I have let them know that it is here and they are welcome to come pick it up it does not have the rear wheel on although the rear wheel is available to be put back on. I believe my ex was going to have the tire changed on it. It has been 2 weeks since I notified the title company and they agreed to come pick it up however every date we set to come pick it up they have not showed (nor called to make other arrangements ) because they cannot find a repo man who will deal with motorcycles apparently without a will in a basement. So I was wondering if there were any special conditions because the loan company was involved what the waiting what time was before I could file for abandoned vehicle and get a title for it in my name. My main objective is getting it out of my basement but I have a feeling that this is going to drag out even with the title loan company and if titling it myself and selling it for a cheap price is the quickest way to get rid of it I'm all about that. I'm just wondering the correct way to navigate this situation. Oh and the title loan company is located in Missouri if that makes any difference.

PayrollHRGuy

If the loan company put a lien on the title you likely won't be able to transfer it.

You said, boyfriend. Did you mean ex-boyfriend?

xylene

There is nothing precluding you from hiring someone with a strong back to set it outside or someone with a little know how to reattach the wheel and roll it outside.

adjusterjack

You want to have "rights" to an abandoned vehicle? It'll take you many months and many dollars and a lot of hassle.

You want it gone quick? Get the wheel done and it's gone.

Your choice.

Sara Hirt

If the loan company put a lien on the title you likely won't be able to transfer it.

You said, boyfriend. Did you mean ex-boyfriend?

I did mean ex. Well I can't get the loan company to come and pick it up that's my point is what is my recourse if they won't come get it

adjusterjack

They won't come and get it because the wheel is off. You said so.

Get the wheel put on, roll it outside and tell them it's a rolling bike and ready to go.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You said you wanted it out of your house. Get the wheel addressed - get it outside. Whatever happens to it happens, at least it'll be out of the house.

Last edited:

quincy

What do you mean? I don't want it I just want it gone
Because it has been over 30 days since your ex boyfriend left his bike behind, send (certified letter, return receipt requested) both your ex boyfriend and the title holder notification that you will be disposing of the bike on X date (with X being at least 15 days after notification) unless the bike is claimed before that date. Publish this same notice in your local paper. Send a copy of the newspaper publication to your ex boyfriend and the title holder.

Dispose of the bike on X date.

Sara Hirt

That's VERY easy to do, as you've been told.
No its not. I do not have the money to have the tire put on nor the ability to do it myself. It is way to heavy for me to move. It was dumped on me and I just want it gone. I am by myself. If moving it outside was that easy I would have already done that.

Sara Hirt

Because it has been over 30 days since your ex boyfriend left his bike behind, send (certified letter, return receipt requested) both your ex boyfriend and the title holder notification that you will be disposing of the bike on X date (with X being at least 15 days after notification) unless the bike is claimed before that date. Publish this same notice in your local paper. Send a copy of the newspaper publication to your ex boyfriend and the title holder.

Dispose of the bike on X date.
Thank you. Then what do I need to do to legally dispose of it

quincy

Thank you. Then what do I need to do to legally dispose of it
You can legally dispose of if after notifying owner(s) that, if not claimed before then, you will be disposing of the bike on Day X.

You are not a storage unit for other people's unwanted goods.

adjusterjack

No its not. I do not have the money to have the tire put on nor the ability to do it myself. It is way to heavy for me to move. It was dumped on me and I just want it gone. I am by myself. If moving it outside was that easy I would have already done that.
You have no friends?

Then what do I need to do to legally dispose of it
There may be an easier way. Take a look at Kansas statute 8-1102(b) and call the police for assistance.

https://law.justia.com/codes/kansas/2017/chapter-8/article-11/

If the police won't help follow Quincy's suggestions and after the appropriate time, call around to junk yards until you find one that will come get it in spite of no title and a lien on it or advertise it for free on Craigs List making sure you disclose the lien and no title. Somebody is likely to pick it up for parts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">