• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Accident in North Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

locklej

Hello, I was in a car accident four days ago in North Carolina. Lady ran a red light and t-boned my vehicle(passenger side). I did not even see or experience the accident. I was out for a period of time. All that I remember is waking up and seeing smoke. When I got out of the car the lady that hit me was standing outside of my vehicle. She apologized for the accident, stated that she was looking at her GPS and did not see the red light until it was too late. She was driving a government/state vehicle that is self-insured. When the crash occurred I was driving approximately 40 mph and she was driving 45 mph based on what she told me. There are two witnesses that confirmed that the lady ran the red light. Fault is not in question.

My car was totaled, I was taken to the hospital and they completed a CT scan of my head, neck and shoulders. From the CT scan they determined that my neck is sprain, muscles in my neck and shoulders are swollen. Air bag hit me in the face and chest, so 2/3's of my face looks and feels as if it burned. Four days later the pain in my neck is almost gone, but the right side of my neck and right shoulder has a consistent moderate pain. Also, I have had a headache pretty much everyday since the accident. I usually have a headache a couple times a year. Hospital doctor prescribed ibuprofen, methocarbamol(muscle relaxer) and percocet for my pain. Medication works, but when it starts wearing off, the pain in the right side of my neck and shoulder returns.

The question is what are my next steps. Never been in an accident that resulted in an injury. I never have used doctors or hospitals in the past and never had to use drugs. I have had no conversations with the state or their insurance carrier. I am thinking about going to a chiropractor tomorrow. I would rather deal with a chiropractor vs. dealing with having to take medication. Should I take on the states insurance folks or should I hire an attorney? My vehicle is fairly new and I still owe the bank money. The big deal for me is to stop this pain that is consistent in my neck and right shoulder.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Take on the state's insurance folks? Have you even filed a claim with them?

You should be seeing a doctor, not a chiropractor.

Just Blue

Hello, I was in a car accident four days ago in North Carolina. Lady ran a red light and t-boned my vehicle(passenger side). I did not even see or experience the accident. I was out for a period of time. All that I remember is waking up and seeing smoke. When I got out of the car the lady that hit me was standing outside of my vehicle. She apologized for the accident, stated that she was looking at her GPS and did not see the red light until it was too late. She was driving a government/state vehicle that is self-insured. When the crash occurred I was driving approximately 40 mph and she was driving 45 mph based on what she told me. There are two witnesses that confirmed that the lady ran the red light. Fault is not in question.

My car was totaled, I was taken to the hospital and they completed a CT scan of my head, neck and shoulders. From the CT scan they determined that my neck is sprain, muscles in my neck and shoulders are swollen. Air bag hit me in the face and chest, so 2/3's of my face looks and feels as if it burned. Four days later the pain in my neck is almost gone, but the right side of my neck and right shoulder has a consistent moderate pain. Also, I have had a headache pretty much everyday since the accident. I usually have a headache a couple times a year. Hospital doctor prescribed ibuprofen, methocarbamol(muscle relaxer) and percocet for my pain. Medication works, but when it starts wearing off, the pain in the right side of my neck and shoulder returns.

The question is what are my next steps. Never been in an accident that resulted in an injury. I never have used doctors or hospitals in the past and never had to use drugs. I have had no conversations with the state or their insurance carrier. I am thinking about going to a chiropractor tomorrow. I would rather deal with a chiropractor vs. dealing with having to take medication. Should I take on the states insurance folks or should I hire an attorney? My vehicle is fairly new and I still owe the bank money. The big deal for me is to stop this pain that is consistent in my neck and right shoulder.
You NEED to see your own doctor for follow up care. S/he may due further testing (perhaps an MRI) of your neck/shoulder.

locklej

Take on the state's insurance folks? Have you even filed a claim with them?

You should be seeing a doctor, not a chiropractor.
No, this is my first accident. In 58 years never had to deal with filing a claim. I had a conversation with the doctor at the hospital and he stated that a MRI is the next step if the pain does not stop.

HighwayMan

You said the vehicle was "self-insured" then you said later on that there is an insurance company. Which is it?

You need to file a claim if you expect any action to be taken.

HighwayMan

And I hope the witness information is documented somewhere or else you may be surprised how the other driver's story may change.

FlyingRon

If you have your own coverage, they will generally pay you promptly less the deductible and then subrogate against the other party and pay the deductible when they get it.

I have unkind things to say about chiropractors. I'd stick with MDs or DOs at this point. If nothing is broken, you're likely getting nothing other than your medical bills paid and the FMV of your car.

I got slammed by a moving van. Airbags and all. You hurt like hell but you'll get over it. It's not going to be compensable. Worst part was the idiot paramedic who screwed up my arm misinserting an IV (and I know better because I was a paramedic as well).

FlyingRon

You said the vehicle was "self-insured" then you said later on that there is an insurance company. Which is it?

Self-insured and using an "insurer" to handle claims is not mutually exclusive.

locklej

County government is self-insured. However, from what I understand they are paying Traveler's to manage their claims. All claims are paid directly by the County government.

locklej

And I hope the witness information is documented somewhere or else you may be surprised how the other driver's story may change.
The police has the witness information and the lady that caused the accident told the police that she was looking at her GPS prior to the crash. She stated that she knew that she ran the red light.

adjusterjack

There are special rules for filing a claim against a government entity.

Google the name of your county with the words how to file an accident claim or something like that. Follow the instructions. You'll probably have to put the county on written notice of your claim. Might even be a form available.

Since you seem totally unprepared to handle this it wouldn't hurt to interview a couple of personal injury attorneys and review your options.

locklej

I agree. I don't have the time to work through this process that in the very end is a total loss. I just downloaded the police report and the police included her statement that she was distracted by her GPS and that she ran the red light.

I appreciate the information. Now to searching to see if the county requires any documentation from me. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">