• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle confiscation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dakota99

What is the name of your state? ca
if a person owes unpaid income taxes to the state and irs and the person purchases a car out of necessity, with finincing over 5 years, can the state tax public servants or the irs confiscate the car even though the person still has to pay on it for 4-5 years?
can they confiscate a leased car?
this is so confusing, i keep hearing conflicting information or unclear information....is there a place to find simply answers?

JETX

It would be possible for the taxing agency to get a lien on the property and to seize it and sell at auction. If that were to happen, you would still be liable for the payments.

D

dakota99

i would like to know how it is possible for them to seize the vehicle...this is still not making sense...

do the taxing authorities have unlimited power or what?

i would suppose that the financing company has first priority to the car, the debt #1, so if the car buyer owes 100% of the vehicles worth to the financing company, how could the tax guys just grab it and sell it to pay the debt #2 for unpaind income taxes, as there is only one title to the car and that title is owned by the financing company, how do the tax guys have an ability to take the car from the buyer and finance company and sell it to a third party....?????

JETX

"do the taxing authorities have unlimited power or what?"
*** No. They must comply with the laws and rules.

"i would suppose that the financing company has first priority to the car, the debt #1, so if the car buyer owes 100% of the vehicles worth to the financing company, how could the tax guys just grab it and sell it to pay the debt #2 for unpaind income taxes,"
*** I never said that would happen. Lets 'spin' your example from your extreme to this one.

You owe $3000 on a car that is worth $10000. That means you have $7000 in 'equity' in that car. If the taxing agency has placed a lien on the vehicle (unlikely, but possible) and you owe them $10000. The taxing authority could seize the vehicle and sell it. The first $3000 recovered would go to the lienholder and the balance to the taxing authority to be applied to your tax liability. You would still owe them the remainder.

"Federal and State tax laws generally allow the government to involuntarily collect from you taxes, penalties, and interest they claim you owe without a Court order or judgment. Although the primary method of collection is placing a tax levy on the wages and bank accounts of a taxpayer, occasionally they will also seize an automobile, retirement account or real property."
http://www.888taxdeal.com/taxlien_levyremoval.html

D

dakota99

spin? spin?!?!?! who are you, bill o'reilly?

i was thinking along the lines of a $10,000 car financed for 5 years with no money down, meaning no equity in the car until 4 years or more of paying on it.
a $10,000 car devalues how much per year in 5 years?
comment?
would a finance company really be so dumb as to expect the car purchaser to continue to pay on a car that had been grabbed by the tax guys?

i will look for the rules for vehicle confiscation, thanks.

Last edited:

JETX

"i was thinking along the lines of a $10,000 car financed for 5 years with no money down, "
*** I guess you expected us to just assume your thoughts, huh?? Then if a response you receive doesn't match your 'thoughts', you take offense.

What a twit!!
And yes, Bill O'Reilly is a hell of a nice guy!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">