• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle misrepresentation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Russell Krey

What is the name of your state?

Washington

I purchased a vehicle from a private party. It was advertised in the paper as running in good condition. I called the party and inquired about the mileage and the daughter informed me that the odometer read 124,000. I asked the party about the vehcile and they said it ran fine and that it only had problems with the radio and a lens cover. I asked about the brakes and I was told that they were fine. I test drove the vehcile and it appeared to be OK.

The next day I drove it to a shop and had them check the brakes and I was told that they brakes were shot and it would cost $940 to get them fixed. At that time I noticed that the odometer was broken. I found some papers in the glove compartment that showed in 1999 the odometer was broekn at 124,000 miles. I drove the vehicle back to work and it overheated because of a leak in the radiator. It wouldn't start so I called up the party and told them I wanted my money back. They told me that they sold it "AS IS' and they would not return my money. He said he would come down and look at it and see if he could get it to start because he was a mechanic. He tried to get it to start but could not. He determined that it had blown a head gasket. I called the dealer and they told me it would cost at least $1,200 to fix the head gasket and more to get it to start.
I called the party and told them I would be willing to settle it for less but they did not return my call. I paid $3,100.00 for the vehicle.

Do I have any recourse ??

Last edited:

D

David.v.Goliath

AS IS

my opinion is that you do not have a claim. You could have taken the car to a mech before you paid for the car. a car with 124,000 would be well driven and any reasonable buyer would know that problems could arise from such a high milage car. next time..............look before you leap!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">