• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Recovery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am needing to recover my vehicle from a private residence in Washington State.
The vehicle is titled in my name with no other interest holder, however it is highly likely the person in possession of the vehicle will not cooperate.
Does the the vehicle title give me sufficient proof of ownership to recover my vehicle from the property, assuming no breach of the peace? Can i ask a Sheriff to observe/accompany?


Senior Member
so, why is the car in the possession of another person. Ownership alone is not the end all regarding possession of a vehicle. Explain the situation if you want anything close to an accurate response.


Junior Member
Full story,

Sold the car to her on payments and she didnt finish payments.

This is the contract.

I Owner release interest to the Nissan MODEL, to OTHER PARTY upon the completion of the terms listed below.

A Down payment of $960.00
The total cost of $1800.00 is to be paid by September 1st 2014
Failure to pay the total cost by the above date forefits all past and partial payment to the owner OWNER, and all interest and claim to the car mentioned above, and anything attached to the vehicle.

Owner________ OR ID#________
Driver ________ WA ID#_________
Witness_______ WA ID#_________
witness _______ WA ID#_________


Senior Member
You need to sue the person in court. A cop would be a fool to step in and help on this and unless you get a court to adjudicate the contract has been breached, you only have an allegation of a breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential