• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chemicalhero

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Ok, spouse and I have a car in both names and a honda in the spouses name. I drive the honda and the spouse drives the car that is in both our names. We are seperated but not divorced (just seperated) yet. The spouse says they are going to let the car that is in both our names go back to the bank by september unless I assume responsibility for it. This will damage my credit as well as theirs. Is there anything I can do such as can he just let it go back without my consent. The honda is in the spouses name so I do know even though we purchased it together they can take it back whenever they want. Any way to keep the spouse from screwing me and my credit?

LdiJ

chemicalhero said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Ok, spouse and I have a car in both names and a honda in the spouses name. I drive the honda and the spouse drives the car that is in both our names. We are seperated but not divorced (just seperated) yet. The spouse says they are going to let the car that is in both our names go back to the bank by september unless I assume responsibility for it. This will damage my credit as well as theirs. Is there anything I can do such as can he just let it go back without my consent. The honda is in the spouses name so I do know even though we purchased it together they can take it back whenever they want. Any way to keep the spouse from screwing me and my credit?
Trade cars and you take over the responsibility for the one that has your name on it. If it goes back you have given your consent by not making the payments.

seniorjudge

Q: Any way to keep the spouse from screwing me and my credit?

A: Buy the car from the spouse and put it just in your name and pay it off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">