• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement about family owned property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wlfswmn

In 2011 employment where we lived in NY had dried up. While looking for employment, my mother-in-law and her sister asked us to take something close to her in MI. She said our family, 5 small children and ourselves could move into her mother's house. I would care for her mother who had dementia so that she could stay in the home that she knew and they wouldn't have to pay for a nursing home. We would pay all bills except for property tax and in return we would be allowed to buy the house for what is owed. His grandmother died about 3 years into this agreement. Both sisters were willed the house. At this time, they decided they wanted to sell for appraised value but were okay with is continuing to live here and pay all bills except property tax. Sadly, last month the Aunt died leaving everything to the mother-in-law. She has decided to sell.

quincy

Thank you for answering my question, Wlfswmm, and providing additional information.

I think you will have an uphill battle in being awarded the property - but uphill battles are not necessarily battles not worth fighting. A personal review by a real estate attorney in your area of all evidence you have to support the oral agreement could give you a better idea of what your chances are of succeeding with a claim.

Good luck.

Wlfswmn

Thank you for answering our questions, Wlfswmm.

I think you will have an uphill battle in being awarded the property - but uphill battles are not necessarily battles not worth fighting. A personal review by a real estate attorney in your area of all evidence you have to support the oral agreement could give you a better idea of what your chances are of succeeding with a claim.

Good luck.
Thank you all

zddoodah

We had a verbal agreement to move into my grandmother's home, pay the bills and care for her around the clock on exchange, I would be given the house once it was paid off.
Verbal agreements regarding title to real property are generally not enforceable unless made in writing and signed.

When my grandmother died they changes the agreement.
Who are "they"?

Whay are my rights.
Like everyone else, you have dozens of legal rights. It would serve no useful purpose to try and list them.

Should we consult a lawyer?
A consultation can't hurt. You should be able to get one for free or for a minimal amount. The lawyer can then advise you about your likelihood of succeeding and the likely cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">