• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal agreement contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Northhvac

I'm a licensed California HVAC contractor with 35 years in the trade.
I'm presently 99% completed on a job that was basically a time and materials project.
A verbal quote I gave the customer was for a wall unit that are very easy to install.
She decided on a more expensive system which was quite a bit more.
Now that I'm almost done she wants to hire another contractor to finish the job and not pay the balance owed for a system that only needs 8 hours labor too start up and get it running.
Is there a law that mandates the customer to allow me to complete my work? Everything is up too code and she is trying to get away with not paying me being we didn't have a written contract.
Thanks

quincy

I'm a licensed California HVAC contractor with 35 years in the trade.
I'm presently 99% completed on a job that was basically a time and materials project.
A verbal quote I gave the customer was for a wall unit that are very easy to install.
She decided on a more expensive system which was quite a bit more.
Now that I'm almost done she wants to hire another contractor to finish the job and not pay the balance owed for a system that only needs 8 hours labor too start up and get it running.
Is there a law that mandates the customer to allow me to complete my work? Everything is up too code and she is trying to get away with not paying me being we didn't have a written contract.
Thanks
There is no law that prevents someone from firing a worker before a job is completed.

You are entitled to be paid for the work you have completed and material costs.

This is absent any signed contract with terms that state otherwise.

adjusterjack

I'm surprised that with 35 years in the trades you don't know the legal aspects of your relationships with your customers.

Yes, she can fire you and hire somebody else to finish the job.

No, she can't get away with not paying you for the work you have done.

You don't have to sign a written contract to HAVE a contract.

Hard to imagine that you don't know the following: Present her with a bill for the time and materials that you have already expended. Give her a written demand for payment and a deadline date. If she doesn't pay, sue her in small claims court if the job price is within the small claims limit.

Northhvac

I'm surprised that with 35 years in the trades you don't know the legal aspects of your relationships with your customers.

Yes, she can fire you and hire somebody else to finish the job.

No, she can't get away with not paying you for the work you have done.

You don't have to sign a written contract to HAVE a contract.

Hard to imagine that you don't know the following: Present her with a bill for the time and materials that you have already expended. Give her a written demand for payment and a deadline date. If she doesn't pay, sue her in small claims court if the job price is within the small claims limit.
Your absolutely right I should know these things. Only problem is this has never happened to me before.
Im presently starting retirement and only taking on small projects and warranty issues.
This person was a previous happy customer and had been calling and leaving messages stating that I was the only company she could trust to do a good job. So being that I knew her I took on the project.
Thanks so much for the advise and at 71 I'm still learning something every day.
Bill

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">