• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal agreement for 100% continuing education

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyndsey28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I had a verbal agreement with my former employer to cover my continuing education. I've since quit working there because he refused to pay my school bill while I was employed there. When we first discussed the issue, there were no stipulations stated, then when I give him the bill, he gives me stipulations on his paying for the bill. Now I am left with the unpaid school bill. Can I recover this somehow from him or is this a win less battle? Also, I was wondering about the possiblility of suing due to harassment he inflicted on me as well as severalother employees. What can be done? Do you suggest lawsuit?

tranquility

Do you really think you will be able to prove your employer, as a condition of your acceptance to the job, promised to pay your continuing education after you left his employ?

Now, if the bill was for things before you were not employed by him, maybe. You might, with the right facts, convince a fact finder there was a contract. But, if you're looking for things outside of employment, I don't think there is any way you could convince someone paying for that was part of the agreement.

eerelations

As someone I know (i.e., me) has said on many occasions, verbal agreements carry exactly the same amount of weight as the paper they're printed on.

lyndsey28

verbal agreement

I have heard that verbal agreements are upheld just like written agreements. However, what would be the best course of action to take? Small claims court? Sue him? He was very harassing to his employees.

cyjeff

He was your boss... he didn't adopt you.

No one anywhere is going to believe he promised to fund your education after you quit the job.

No one.

eerelations

The tuition fees and the harassment are two completely separate and different issues.

To paraphrase myself, verbal agreements are worth nothing on their own. If you take him to small claims court over this, it will be a case of you said-he said. Unless he admits to entering into this verbal agreement with you, you will have to prove that he did. Proving this will require evidence, such as witnesses to your conversations about tuition fees reimbursement, or documents on other topics wherein this verbal agreement is mentioned.

Regarding the harassment, please note that harassment is only illegal if it's based directly on things like your race, gender, age (only if you're over 40), religion or disability. If the harassment you've experienced was not based on things like this, then he has done nothing illegal, and you therefore have no case against him for illegal harassment.

Dandy Don

Is there anything about continuing education policy WRITTEN DOWN in an employee handbook or in a company memo that you could perhaps use as support for your argument? Are you also checking into other sources for financial aid (scholarships, loans, grants, etc.)?

lyndsey28

employee handbook

Unfortunately there isn't any policy or procedures in the handbook. I've checked and doubled checked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">