• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract broken

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bb2kz24

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I sold limousine to a guy back in June for 10,000 dollars. He gave 4,000 down and said that he would give me 1,000 dollars per month. Well not even a month had passed before the limo started to have problems. So we agreed that he could just give me 500/month until he got the limo running right. So July 1st he gave me 500 and August 1st he gave me 500. Well on August first he informed me that it cost him 3500 to get the limousine fixed and running correctly; he also showed me receipts. So he asked me for a price break and I gave him 2,000 off. So he still owes me 3,000 dollars. He told me that he would have me paid off by September 1st. Well September 1st came and I haven't heard from him. I have been trying to contact him but he wont return my phone calls and he wont answer the door when I go to his house. My question is, since no written contract was ever signed would it be possible for me to take him to small claims court and get the rest of my money?

L

loku

Yes, it is possible. An oral contract for the sale of goods, such as a limousine, must usually be in writing if the price is over $500, but if the buyer has accepted the goods and made some payments, the contract does not have to be in writing, so you are OK on that. The problem will come in when you try and prove the price, but it is worth a try and evidence of the value of the limo will help you prove the price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">