• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal contract to rent space at a flea market

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Snookered1

What is the name of your state? Florida

I paid a deposit on a space at a Flea Market. The manager upon showing me the spot available said that she doesn't think anyhone else is selling tools here. I found a Army Navy store selling the same tools. I didn't complain at the time. Today I found another vendor (housewares) selling the same type tools that I would be.
I went to the Manager's office and discussed the situation with her. She got upset and suddenly said to give me a refund and she doesn't want me at the flea market. I refused to take the deposit back
I have 1100 lbs. of tools coming in and now where to sell them. Does she have a right to refuse me the space and return the deposit? I have invested a lot of time an d money in tools.
How can someone cancel a contract just because of what amounted to a business discussion? It almost seemed like she wanted an excuse to keep me out. It is a very popular flea market.

S

Snookered1

Warning oof Scam

Thanks Halkket for the Heads Up! I tried contacting them yesterday, and their Email led me to Hotmail. I would have had to sifgn up for Hotmail I suppose to get to them.

Jim From Florida

JETX

Snookered, thank you for your comments.

Now that both Sivanppl and Generallegal are gone, we can get back to answering your questions....

Q1) "Does she have a right to refuse me the space and return the deposit?"
A1) Do you have a written agreement on the rental space?? If so, the answer to what the management can (and cannot) do should be in it. What exactly does it say about their right to terminate??

Q2) "I have invested a lot of time an d money in tools. How can someone cancel a contract just because of what amounted to a business discussion?"
A2) Again, a large part of this will be determined by what your written agreement says.

If you feel that her cancellation was in violation of any agreement, or that it was done without any basis, your only real recourse will be to determine your 'damages' and to file a small claims action against the flea market. Be sure that you find the REAL owner (d/b/a or corporation) and file against him/her/it.
One other thing.... if you are making part of your claim on her statement "that she doesn't think anyhone else is selling tools here.", don't. It does not appear that exclusivity was part of your agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">