• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tobie

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I was fired from my job recently and was told at the time of termination that I would receive my year end bonus. Now he tells me that I had to be employed at the time of payout. The handbook states payout if employee is employed at Dec. 31 which I was. I was manager but the handbook doesnt state if different for managment. Does a verbal contract hold up in my case? There was a witness to this conversation if that makes a difference.

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I was fired from my job recently and was told at the time of termination that I would receive my year end bonus. Now he tells me that I had to be employed at the time of payout. The handbook states payout if employee is employed at Dec. 31 which I was. I was manager but the handbook doesnt state if different for managment. Does a verbal contract hold up in my case? There was a witness to this conversation if that makes a difference.
A promise was made to you, but that promise did not constitute a contract. Contracts are comprised of both a give and a take. Since you didn't give anything in return for the promise, there was no contract and the promise is unenforceable.

You still have other possible legal arguments: You could argue that the handbook itself constituted a contract. You could also argue that the promise, though not a contract, should be enforced under the doctrine of promissory estoppel. (Of course, who knows whether the facts support either argument, or whether litigating the matter is even worth the expense.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">