• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbal Rental Agreement Gone Wrong

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clayrancher

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I made a verbal agreement on a tract of land with a friend, to put a mobile home on it and install utilities and live there rent free for indefinate limit of time. I have invested approx $5000 in utility installments, bulldozing new road and lot and much more. I have only been moved into the home for 9 months, now she is posting the land for sale which she said she would never do. I asked her to pay some of the costs to upgrade the land to me and she refused. Do I have any legal way to retrieve my money? :confused:

BelizeBreeze

Verbal contracts in the sale and lease of real estate are worthless and void on their face.

You screwed up big time. And no, you don't have a case. At least on the real estate aspect.

You MAY have a case for detrimental reliance but you would need to see a local attorney who can assertain all the facts.

clayrancher

BelizeBreeze said:
Verbal contracts in the sale and lease of real estate are worthless and void on their face.

You screwed up big time. And no, you don't have a case. At least on the real estate aspect.

You MAY have a case for detrimental reliance but you would need to see a local attorney who can assertain all the facts.

The detrimental reliance is how I feel, I am disabled and she was told that we only had the money for a one time chance to set up a home. I used my disability back pay to do this work thereby exhausting my resources to even move it to another location. I feel that I was used to upgrade the rural tract to raise it value in order for her to reap a larger profit.

Who's Liable?

Then go that route... Get a lawyer and battle it out in court...

IF I were to guess the outcome, I would say you have a %60 chance...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">