• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal sales agreement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mame

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ohio
I went with my son to look at a car a private owner had for sale. He test drove the car and told the man he wanted the car and would get back to him. My son later went to the owner and told him he wanted the car and offered him a down payment. He was told that was not necessary and that he would hold the car for him. My son went back later that evening to offer him a down payment again and to ask him if he could come with the money the next day as he had sold his car and was getting the money the money then. The owner then took the for sale sign out of his car and told him that would be fine. Later that evening the owner came into my sons place of employment and told him that he had changed his mind and wasn't going to sell the car. My son is now without a car, he is keeping his word to his buyer and extremely upset! He is 17 years old by the way. Did he have a binding verbal agreement? Is there anything we can do?

shortbus

Well it was a cheap way for your son to find out that oral contracts aren't binding for sales of goods over $500. If you want to buy a car -- get it in writing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">