• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbally abusive ex-landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gp10048453

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Long story short.............My landlord kept $100 of my security deposit for "leaf raking" which is crazy because when I moved in the rental the grass was about 2 feet tall and it took me 3 days to repair it, but I did for free.

I figured that it wasn't worth suing over $100 so I made a case with residentsolutionsgroup.com that was a month ago. Today my ex landlord left a message on my voicemail filled with profanity. The message was about 5 minutes long but it basically went like this........."If you want you f---ing $100 back then call me and give me your f---ing address. you are f---ing pathetic."

The landlord already has my address since I gave him my forwarding address via certified mail within the 7 days. I feel that he just wants me to call me so he can try to intimidate me with his infamous fits of pychotic rage like he has in the past.

After hearing the message I've decided that I want to sue afterall and I understand that I may sue for twice the amount that was illegally withheld. My question is.....am I obligated to call the landlord back even though I believe that he is a nut and has no intention of returning my $100 and also do I have a case to sue for extra $$ due to the harrassing voicemail? I have been nothing but polite to him and do not feel like I should have to go through his abuse while just trying to recover what is rightfully mine.

fairlight

If he had made a physical threat against you, then you'd probably want to file for a restraining order against him. Using profanity over the telephone and calling someone "pathetic" is not illegal.

Don't call. It might lead to other problems. Keep the tape, and I hope you've documented this and your other problems with him.

gp10048453

Yep I've documented everything and made a copy of the voicemail. Thank you for the reply. If cussing someone out on the phone isn't illegal then it should be.

south

You have a choice either call or send a letter with your forwarding address and wait for the $100... And get on with your life $100 is not worth spending any more time on it if you can get it back with a phone call...

or

Fall into stupid mode and think ok forget getting the $100 now Ill sue for it, Ill dedicate my life to this and make it a project, this will make you as dumb and look as dumb as the landlord..

Waste your time and sue for a $100 and slim chance you may get a whopping $200 which I doubt (maybe $100 +court costs) for all the time and crap filling writting letters gathering evidence and sitting in court for the best part of a day.

But on the other hand you could just piss the judge off for wasting court time when the message clearly states give me an address so I can send your money.

Hey you may even end up with less if the judge states the landlord was willing to pay $100 that is all you will get, and you foot the bill for your court filing fees and wasted a lovely day in court..

gp10048453 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Long story short.............My landlord kept $100 of my security deposit for "leaf raking" which is crazy because when I moved in the rental the grass was about 2 feet tall and it took me 3 days to repair it, but I did for free.

I figured that it wasn't worth suing over $100 so I made a case with residentsolutionsgroup.com that was a month ago. Today my ex landlord left a message on my voicemail filled with profanity. The message was about 5 minutes long but it basically went like this........."If you want you f---ing $100 back then call me and give me your f---ing address. you are f---ing pathetic."

The landlord already has my address since I gave him my forwarding address via certified mail within the 7 days. I feel that he just wants me to call me so he can try to intimidate me with his infamous fits of pychotic rage like he has in the past.

After hearing the message I've decided that I want to sue afterall and I understand that I may sue for twice the amount that was illegally withheld. My question is.....am I obligated to call the landlord back even though I believe that he is a nut and has no intention of returning my $100 and also do I have a case to sue for extra $$ due to the harrassing voicemail? I have been nothing but polite to him and do not feel like I should have to go through his abuse while just trying to recover what is rightfully mine.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">