• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verizon After-The-Fact Price change.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rednibia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

In October, I attempt to pre-order the Samsung Note 4, advertised $300 with service.

I went to the Verizon website to make the purchase but it was impossible(at any price) to do so without changing my unlimited data plan.

I opened an online chat with their customer service. I was instructed by them to add a new line, purchase the phone for that line, swap the phones and then cancel the new line. I knew this was not normally an option, so I had them check with their manager and it was confirmed as okay.

So I purchased the phone. After it was delivered, I called in customer service to cancel the phone. What I got for the next month was a series of brush offs. Nobody wanted to help me. They kept claiming they couldn't read the logs. They said they had no access to email if I tried to email the log to them. They said that they didn't have the ability to read the log in the system based upon the session id. They told me they would contact a manager to get back to me. Nobody ever got back to me. I called about 8 times before I was finally helped.

I was then told that the new line was canceled, the cancellation fee was waved and that all associated costs with the line(for the month of unwanted service) were being refunded.

I thought it was over. It wasn't.

I got an extra $400 charge on my latest bill. There was no warning or explanation. I called in and was told it was an equipment fee. Since I was purchasing the phone no longer as an add-a-line the price is $400 more, the out of pocket price. I argued that the bill on the phone when I agreed to purchase it was $300, not $700. They can't add $400 2 months later. They said that the customer service person made a mistake saying I was allowed to do that.

This comes across to me as illegal, but not being a lawyer, I don't know what laws to quote. Any help would be extremely useful.

Edit: When I mentioned that I saw it as a breach of an agreement to charge me more for than the agreement, the latest manager I spoke to said that by that same logic I breached because I agreed when ordering the phone to the 2 year plan, saying that it was irrelevant that the customer service were telling me it was okay to cancel it after.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can't have your cake and eat it to - you misunderstood something.

If you commit to a 2-year term, then you get the phone for the discounted rate. If you cancel early, you get charged for the phone.

rednibia

Normally, yes, you are right. The customer service person helping me, however, said I was being allowed to make this purchase with no 2-year term. When making my decision to purchase the phone, this is the information that was being given to me. It's not that I misunderstood something, it's that the customer service person made a mistake.

Just Blue

Normally, yes, you are right. The customer service person helping me, however, said I was being allowed to make this purchase with no 2-year term. When making my decision to purchase the phone, this is the information that was being given to me. It's not that I misunderstood something, it's that the customer service person made a mistake.
I can only say this is VERIZON!! I feel your pain...:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">