• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Abusive Husband / Short Term Disability problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5earching

I was recently married.

My husband began being abusive shortly after the marriage. Lots of verbal and emotional abuse. Initial physical violence left no marks, then he sent me to the hospital after nearly choking me to death. I was put on suicide watch in a live in mental care facility and not allowed to return to work. During this time he grew angry and blamed everything on me. He began destroying my property while I was not home (things I owned long before the marriage). He began threatening to kill my pets. We have separated, but he will not allow my to collect my property.

A few months have passed since this. I am required to do outpatient therapy for PTSD and alcohol (sober over a month now). The doctors are requiring therapy, but not allowing me to return to work. I do not have the finances to do this. I have tried to get Short Term Disability but it was denied because they are saying depression and my PCP wrote my an antidepressant a few months before this started.

I am currently staying with a family member, while constantly being harassed and all while I cannot afford anything. I want out but don't know what my legal options are.

What are my legal avenues?
Does the law protect me?

Silverplum

I was recently married.

My husband began being abusive shortly after the marriage. Lots of verbal and emotional abuse. Initial physical violence left no marks, then he sent me to the hospital after nearly choking me to death. I was put on suicide watch in a live in mental care facility and not allowed to return to work. During this time he grew angry and blamed everything on me. He began destroying my property while I was not home (things I owned long before the marriage). He began threatening to kill my pets. We have separated, but he will not allow my to collect my property.

A few months have passed since this. I am required to do outpatient therapy for PTSD and alcohol (sober over a month now). The doctors are requiring therapy, but not allowing me to return to work. I do not have the finances to do this. I have tried to get Short Term Disability but it was denied because they are saying depression and my PCP wrote my an antidepressant a few months before this started.

I am currently staying with a family member, while constantly being harassed and all while I cannot afford anything. I want out but don't know what my legal options are.

What are my legal avenues?
Does the law protect me?
What is the name of your US state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you contacted the police to assist you in retrieving your belongings?

5earching

I have not contacted the police.

I have been collecting my smaller items that I am able to remove while he is at work away from the home.
He keeps threatening to change the locks to keep me from gathering my things.

Zigner

I have not contacted the police.

I have been collecting my smaller items that I am able to remove while he is at work away from the home.
He keeps threatening to change the locks to keep me from gathering my things.
It is his right to do so - just as it is your right to do the same thing.

5earching

Thank you for the links Silverplum.

I have never had to deal with a situation like this before.
The way he controls everything is still just hard for me to get my head around.

I am having to tell myself that this is not right and I have to stand up for myself.

Last edited:

commentator

You have removed yourself from physical abuse. The only way he can now physically, emotionally or verbally abuse you is if you continue to have contact with him. Avoid this. "He's just being so mean and controlling" isn't a valid complaint. Sure he is, what did you expect? Are you really surprised he's acting like he always has?

Get your things as much as you can, and be done with it, get a protective order, and get away from him completely. How is your family member being harassed? Is he coming around? With your permission? It sounds as though you and he are bouncing off each other and fighting back and forth. This is not good for your new sobriety and your depression issues. Work with your counselors. You can't change his behavior, you've put up with it and you've tried for a while. now work on moving on and getting a new life.

Bali Hai

You have removed yourself from physical abuse. The only way he can now physically, emotionally or verbally abuse you is if you continue to have contact with him. Avoid this. "He's just being so mean and controlling" isn't a valid complaint. Sure he is, what did you expect? Are you really surprised he's acting like he always has?

Get your things as much as you can, and be done with it, get a protective order, and get away from him completely. How is your family member being harassed? Is he coming around? With your permission? It sounds as though you and he are bouncing off each other and fighting back and forth. This is not good for your new sobriety and your depression issues. Work with your counselors. You can't change his behavior, you've put up with it and you've tried for a while. now work on moving on and getting a new life.
This SOB deserves a hefty alimony payment, not that he wouldn't get if he wasn't an SOB.

5earching

To answer your questions commentator.

He has verbally harassed and threatened my family member that I am staying with.
I have not filed a protection order yet.

Zigner

Fixed that for you.
I get where you're coming from, but, while not normally worded that way, Bali's post was grammatically correct. The abusive husband should have an alimony payment, the wife should receive an alimony payment.

Proserpina

I get where you're coming from, but, while not normally worded that way, Bali's post was grammatically correct. The abusive husband should have an alimony payment, the wife should receive an alimony payment.

Sigh. I know. I was clarifying, because...well... let's face it, Bali rarely, RARELY comes out with a pro-alimony post.

Sorry.

Silverplum

Sigh. I know. I was clarifying, because...well... let's face it, Bali rarely, RARELY comes out with a pro-alimony post.

Sorry.
(Yes, Pro, but *I* got my "A" animals straight this time! :D)

You're welcome, 5earching. I send you my best wishes for your future. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">