• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vesting period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speechytype

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I terminated employment with the University of Oklahoma 12 years ago. At that time, I had about 10,000.00 in a defined contribution plan owned by the employer. Before termination, I checked with Human Resources to determine the date that I would need to work until to be vested in the plan. I worked until this date. I left the money in the account for all these years and would receive quarterly statements on the account that was in my name. Recently, I tried to roll the money over into an IRA. I was told by TIAA-CREF that they had checked with HR at the Univ. of Oklahoma and was told that I was a couple of months shy of being vested. I worked from 9-1-95 through 9-1-98 and was told by HR that employment of 3 years was required for vesting in the retirement account. The annuity account actually began on 11-1-95 and now they are saying that it's 3 years from the date of the account initiation. Since the account has been in my name for all these years, can they take back the money? Do I have any legal recourse?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">