• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vesting Schedule - 401k's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tod

What is the name of your state? KS

This is a generic question. I am interested in how vesting schedules are suppose to or actually do work. If my company contibutes so much per month through matching my contribution, and I leave before all or some of that gets vested per the vesting schedule, what do I have to return to the company? For the sake of clarification, suppose the company contributed $1000 before the first vesting date and I quit before that vesting date. Does the plan adminstrator return to the company only the $1000 or the $1000 plus its earnings and losses? I would assume specifically $1000 is cashed out of the investment funds and returned to the company.

Assuming on the anniversary/vesting schedule date 25% is vested and I stay past that date, then only $750 would be cashed out and returned. Correct?

Next, if I stay another 6 months such that the total company contribution is now $1500 and I am still in the 25% vesting period, is my 'liability' (the unvested part) 75% of the $1500, or 75% of the $1000 that was in the plan at vesting date plus 100% of the more recent $500 contributions, or something else?

Finally, if I stay long enough to be fully vested (presumably 4 years in this scenario), are all past and current employer contributions now fully vested or only those contributions 4 or more years old. (This is really another way of asking the prior question.)

Thanks for educating me.What is the name of your state?

Beth3

Vesting refers to the amount of employer contributions made to an employee's retirement plan that the employee "owns" through years of service if he/she leaves employment.

So...if your employer has a 20% per year of service vesting schedule (which is very common) and the employee leaves after two years of service, he takes 40% of the employer's contributions with him and forfeits the rest, which revert back to the general assets of the Plan. Employees always own 100% of whatever contributions they made to the Plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">