• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vet bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dxdenis02

What is the name of your state? new jersey

my ex girlfriend went to a vet to have treatment to her dog she paid with my credit card but there was an outstanding balance not paid. so now i am being sued for that balance. she used my name and address because she paid with my credit card. do i have to pay this i didnt sign any agreement with the vet. please some advise. i paid the credit card it is my card its the vet suing me thru a lawyer to pay for the outstand balance

this a remaining balance, part of the debt having been paid through my credit card that is in question

Debt Guy

You can be sued for anything. I could sue you and I don't even know you.

Winning is another matter. If this matter is in small claims court, you must attend and tell the judge your story. If you blow this off, you will lose by default.

This sounds like a real stretch to me and I would be very surprised if the vet won. Have you written a letter explaining and disclaiming responsbility?

dxdenis02

no i didnt have any contact with anyone and yes it is in court I have about 20 days left to answer i was gathering research if my situation is a vaild defense or i should just pay so i should just state the case to the judge is what your recommend and i should win my case??

BelizeBreeze

Debt Guy said:
This sounds like a real stretch to me and I would be very surprised if the vet won. Have you written a letter explaining and disclaiming responsbility?
I wouldn't be. The vet has a very strong case. It's called the credit card receipt.

Your ONLY recourse is against the girlfriend for the debt and then you'd have to prove she had no authorization to use the card.

TigerD

BelizeBreeze said:
I wouldn't be. The vet has a very strong case. It's called the credit card receipt.

Your ONLY recourse is against the girlfriend for the debt and then you'd have to prove she had no authorization to use the card.
Not neccessarily. The OP should simply go into court and tell the truth. Something like, "I helped out an old girlfirend your honor and allowed her to charge a portion of the vet bill on my credit card. At no time did I assume responibility for any portion of the bill other than what I allowed her to place on my credit card."

Refer the vet and the court to the ex-girlfriend. Don't forget to counter sue.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">