• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victim of Check Fraud -- GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



This past summer, an entire box of my husband's checks was stolen and the person made illegal purchases all over. My husband contacted the police and has been forwarding the police report to each individual store -- some are slower to act than others and he even had to show up in court to dispute a bad check citation. Now months later, we are receiving notices that this person is writing checks AGAIN (even though we closed the account) and I am very very frustrated. Should I hire a lawyer at this point? Should I keep contacting the police? This person is ruining our credit and I don't know how to keep him/her from using our checks. ANY help would be much appreciated. Thank you.



QJR: You most certainly should immediately contact an attorney in your area. You can check this web site for a listing. You will want a criminal defense attorney. You need to ask the attorney if your state has a law against "identity theft". The thief has apparently obtained your husband's identity and is using it even after the one checking account was closed. The identity theft law also helps victims in their attempts to clean up their credit reports. Remember that credit reporting agencies, such as TRW (now called Experian), Equifax, and Trans Union, are governed by the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act as well as the state version. For more information on these please see this site. Your attorney should be able to assist you in the credit restoration process as part of his assisting you with the recovery of your husband's identity. Good luck.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential