• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Victims Rights Lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KarenRas

What is the name of your state? CA

I'm looking for an attorney to help me with some concerns I have as a victim of domestic violence. Im not sure what kind of attorney i should be looking for. My case is not being handled well at all and I feel that the safety of my child and myself could be in jeopardy.

Just Blue

I'm looking for an attorney to help me with some concerns I have as a victim of domestic violence. Im not sure what kind of attorney i should be looking for. My case is not being handled well at all and I feel that the safety of my child and myself could be in jeopardy.
Have you contacted the Victim/Witness advocate? How is you case not being handled well? What is the details of the DV? Do you have a RO against the person who assaulted you or your child?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
NDVH might be able to help you find resources... From their website thehotline.org :

"Please call 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or chat online with us and our advocates can connect you with resources for legal help."

CdwJava

What do you think an attorney will do for you? An attorney cannot compel the police to investigate differently, nor can he or she compel the DA to pursue criminal charges if they choose not to do so. You have access to a domestic violence advocate so you might want to utilize that resource. They can keep you abreast of pending court actions and provide you guidance on your rights and any assistance you might have available to you. But, no attorney you can hire can force anyone to do anything, and the police and the DA are unlikely to speak to anyone you hire anyway.

If you need protection from your abuser, you can obtain a restraining order on your own or with the assistance of the court's free resources, or the victim advocate. However, filing for a TRO is no guarantee of getting one.

What is happening to cause you to feel that the case is not being handled well, or pouts you at greater risk?

Just Blue

What do you think an attorney will do for you? An attorney cannot compel the police to investigate differently, nor can he or she compel the DA to pursue criminal charges if they choose not to do so. You have access to a domestic violence advocate so you might want to utilize that resource. They can keep you abreast of pending court actions and provide you guidance on your rights and any assistance you might have available to you. But, no attorney you can hire can force anyone to do anything, and the police and the DA are unlikely to speak to anyone you hire anyway.

If you need protection from your abuser, you can obtain a restraining order on your own or with the assistance of the court's free resources, or the victim advocate. However, filing for a TRO is no guarantee of getting one.

What is happening to cause you to feel that the case is not being handled well, or pouts you at greater risk?
This is an older thread pulled up by an "attorney" trolling for business. OP hasn't been back since the day she posted this thread.

KarenRas

Ok so, first of all, my choice of men is not really the issue here. I do now and have had several RO's against my ex including a couple of CPO's. The DA's office has decided to press charges against my ex for criminal threats and there were 3 no cite warrants for his arrest but no attempt by authorities was made to locate him since he is homeless even though he is on parole. A friend of mine saw him in a parking lot behind a local grocery store and notified me so i notified the PD who went and questioned him. My frnd watched from across the parking lot as the police spoke to him, made a phone call, cuffed him, put him in the squad car and left with him. Assuming that they were taking him to jail. I checked repeatedly that day to see if he was in custody and found that he was not but that the warrants had disappeared from the online search site. I called the jail late that evening and was told that he was not in custody. I called my advocate the next morning and was told that the warrants were still active in his computer system but that there was no record of him being arrested. He said that the arrest must not have hit the system yet but that he was definitely not in custody. I called PD who informed me that they had cited him out and dropped him off at the hospital in town because he was complaining about his leg that had been injured when he was hit by a car months earlier. The officers must have just dropped him off and left without making sure he went in because he had been kicked out and told never to return to that hospital a week earlier after being caught smoking weed in his hospital room. I was told that he should have been given a courtdate but none have ever shown up in the court dockets. To this moment i can no longer find his warrants or any courtdates for him and now with the courts closed i dont know what to do. So, yes, i have followed protocol. Ive asked for and was granted the TRO. Charges were filed by the DA's office but other than that nothing has been done. I am doing and have been doing everything i can to keep my son and myself safe. My choice of men, i agree, has been unfortunate i agree, but the only one who has abused me and threatened my son's life is his father. He left voicemail messages saying so. Ive done my part.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If there are any law schools in your area, they often have free or very low cost clinics where you can get legal consultations.

But I, also, am unsure what you think an attorney can make happen that isn't happening already. Can you clarify that point?

KarenRas

Has he violated the restraining order(s)?
Yes! Over and over again! He left 32 voicemails threatening to kill our son and me and each one of those messages were violations of the RO! He called a total of 109 times and each call was a violation!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">