• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video of Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

convoy71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Im really unsure where to ask this question.

In March 2011, I visited an old apartment complex that I was raised in. I hadnt been back in 20 years, so returned for a brief visit for my 40th birthday.

I took some video clips, saying only the name of town, name the property labled when I lived there and what its called now. Not my name or address or property.

The view of the grounds and bldgs were in absolutely horrible shape in my point of view. I nearly cried. The videos are of only the outside not inside. Including shots of river the bldgs reside next too.

I am legally able to upload them to YouTube, and what I said, be protected by freedom of speech. I was thinking theres a 20-30% chance of owners suing me over my verbal statements. Its doubtful anyone living there, owners or management would care or probably even realize the videos are online. Because its not like video taping Trump Tower and calling it a crappy bldg, but still I think what I said on the video is backed by freedom of speech.

The Occultist

As long as all footage you took was from a public vantage point (i.e. not on private property) then there is little recourse for anybody to take. This assumes, of course, that you did nothing to defame the property owners or the residents therein.

convoy71

As long as all footage you took was from a public vantage point (i.e. not on private property) then there is little recourse for anybody to take. This assumes, of course, that you did nothing to defame the property owners or the residents therein.
Define "defame property?"

swalsh411

If you said they performed child sacrifices or didn't rent to black people, that would be defamatory. If you said you thought the lawn looked awful or the buildings had not been mantained well, that would not be.

Keep in mind that youtube is perfectly within their rights to remove your video.

You could call Trump Tower crappy. Donald doesn't care what you think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">