• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Recording School Events

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tonyandjody

What is the name of your state? Michigan

The local schools are not allowing parents to video tape their children during band concerts citing a local policy and the violation of Federal Copyright Law. As a parent, this is extremely unfair because I want to record my childs performance and have no control (or care) of what the music is or who wrote it. I am proud of my child and want to record that specific moment in history. What are my legal rights and is the prohibiting of me recording my child legal? Am I violating any laws by doing so? What can I do?

H

hexeliebe

Technically, if the school is paying a 'performance license fee' for the performance of the music at the concert, then no, you may not videotape the concert.

However, unless the school is registering the performance as 'copyright protected' then you are free to videotape such. IF the school makes the claim that the performance is 'owned' by the school as they hold the copyright, then you have three options:

1. demand that the same provisions apply to sporting events, even to the extent that any news footage, photos or other descriptions of the events, be legally licensed , or;

2. Demand to see the copyright application the school has files with the Office of copyright and patents in Washington D.C., or;

3. inform the school board that you will be videotaping the performance and if they wish the media to be there you would be more than happy to inform them.

T

tonyandjody

It is my understanding that the school has not registered the music and are acting on behalf of copyright holders. The "Warning" they have adopted as policy states "Past infringement of these laws by audience members has caused copyright holders to aggressively pursue criminal charges. The publishing industry and the federal government have combined forces to press charges at oone institution (college, university, professional performance ensemble, or even public schools) in the four quadrants of the United States each year." If I am recording my child's performance at an authorized school event for my own personal use, is it still illegal? What is the time limitations on copyright? Playing the national anthem at a football game could be considered infringement as well. I don't want much. I just want to record the christmas play and concert without being hassled. Those are timeless moments. What can I do?

H

hexeliebe

Playing the national anthem at a football game could be considered infringement as well.
There is no copyright on the national anthem. Film away.

I just want to record the christmas play and concert without being hassled. Those are timeless moments. What can I do?
Find out which christmas play is being performed, who the author is and if there is a legally valid copyright. If so, leave the camera at home. If not, film away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">