• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Video Taping During Supervised Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poppabear

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have been looking all over the internet (yes, Google is my friend) and have not been able to find an answer to this particular issue.

Is it legal to videotape supervised visitation? It is held in a public place and we have permission from the building owners to film. From what I can find, most centers that conduct supervised visitation film the visits and as we are having ongoing problems with my ex bringing up inappropriate issues, I think that it is necessary to film if for no other reason to keep my ex from exposing my DD to adult issues. And if it continues, having the instances on tape would certainly not hurt my case.

At this point, CPS and the courts simply tell us to have a 'trusted adult' supervise in a public area. Since the schedule is rather erratic and honestly I don't trust many people to intervene when mom is being inappropriate, my wife supervises and mom just blows her off. I have tried repeatedly to work with my ex on this issue but in her words DD "needs to know what's really going on." :rolleyes:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have been looking all over the internet (yes, Google is my friend) and have not been able to find an answer to this particular issue.

Is it legal to videotape supervised visitation? It is held in a public place and we have permission from the building owners to film. From what I can find, most centers that conduct supervised visitation film the visits and as we are having ongoing problems with my ex bringing up inappropriate issues, I think that it is necessary to film if for no other reason to keep my ex from exposing my DD to adult issues. And if it continues, having the instances on tape would certainly not hurt my case.

At this point, CPS and the courts simply tell us to have a 'trusted adult' supervise in a public area. Since the schedule is rather erratic and honestly I don't trust many people to intervene when mom is being inappropriate, my wife supervises and mom just blows her off. I have tried repeatedly to work with my ex on this issue but in her words DD "needs to know what's really going on." :rolleyes:

I am changing my answer. You have several threads going. You cannot just decide to film in a public location. You have no right to do that. Mom's visitation is in public and your wife supervises. Your schedule is spelled out according to you in the court order regarding times and days. If mom just blows off your wife then you need to go back to court. Videotaping is NOT an answer. Especially not in public. Who else are you going to end up inadvertently taping. What is mom stating to child? Oh and how you refer to your ex is not nice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">