• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Videotaping manager who promised salary raise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsatl

HI all,
My manager like to lies all the time therefore, last year, I decided to videotaping him on our one on one meeting. On a few of our meeting, my manager promised to give me a raise. If I ever get to the point where my manager denying what he promised and I decided to corner him by telling him that I have him on the record, would I get into legal issue for videotaping without consent?

I understand, the best course of action is to quit which what I'm trying to do but, the economy of the city where I live is really not good. I've been looking for another job with no success. I'm planning to keep looking but at the same time, I also want to prepare myself if I ever get to the point of salary negotiation and I didn't get what I'm supposed to get.

Live in Alberta, Canada.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, you will almost definitely get in trouble for videotaping without his consent. Besides, what do you hope to accomplish? Promising you a raise and not giving it to you is perfectly legal (anywhere in the US).

PayrollHRGuy

A promise likely won't rise to the level of a contract.

And recording your boss without his knowledge is certainly grounds for termination and may be a criminal act.

quincy

Yes, you will almost definitely get in trouble for videotaping without his consent. Besides, what do you hope to accomplish? Promising you a raise and not giving it to you is perfectly legal (anywhere in the US).
The legality of videotaping depends on the state. The videotaping without consent is likely to get nsati fired, though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The legality of videotaping depends on the state.
Yes, but it doesn't matter whether it's legal or not because it's perfectly legal for the boss to discipline the employee for videotaping.

The videotaping without consent is likely to get nsati fired, though.
Right.

quincy

Thank you for editing your post to include the name of your country.

FreeAdvice handles US law questions only. The laws in Alberta, Canada, differ from those in the US.

Sorry. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">