• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vindictive ex-coworker sends poison e-mail and harasses staff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fuming

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A woman was hired a few months ago in a high-turnover position at our office (small private company). She was fired on January 2 (could not handle the work or the boss's style, which can be abrupt and demanding). She got 2 week severance and I even heard she had another job lined up. Last week, two weeks after she was fired, she sent a long (7 pages) scathing "go to h*ll" e-mail and routed it to every staff member and we later found out she printed copies and mailed to some people who don't even work here anymore.

It's created a lot of tension because she "named names" so to speak. Repeated things some loose-lipped people had said about the boss and others, and some of the things she said she probably found out by snooping after hours. She talks about salaries, previous firings and people who got fed up and quit, who said what about who, who spends a couple hours on personal calls, etc. She said she saw me several time "with my finger up my nostril digging for gold" and that she hopes my mother taught me to wash my hands. She eavesdropped a lot and said I was "jealous of (another co-worker's) rais even though I grin in her face and go to lunch with her".

Another co-worker has been looking at assisted living facilities for her mother and talked about it while this woman was still there. The other evening her elderly mother got an anonymous call from some female saying "your daughter is gonna put you in the old folks home because she doesn't want to be bothered with you."

A couple of us were tempted to write her back or see an attorney. One person called and left a choice message on her home answering machine.

Boss has told everyone to stop talking about it, block her e-mail address, and that he will handle it (but as yet no one knows how). She said a lot of nasty things about him such as she detected body odor, that since he "wants to be high class he should first learn some things about hygiene", and that he used part of his grandson's college tuition money to take a luxury vacation". She worked closely with boss and had access to lots of information. She also said she hopes he reports all his earnings to the IRS because they have ways of finding out about "cheaters".

Anyway, I was wondering what can be done about this? Isn't it harassment or menacing? Can't she be sued or at least prosecuted and warned? This woman is very confrontational (which is one reason she was fired).

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
One instance is not enough to qualify as harassment. Let the boss handle it. No, he does not need to tell you what he does or how it is resolved.

F

fuming

Isn't this a breach of confidentiality, or at least ethics?Her sheer vindictiveness really did some damage to the work atmosphere and relationships. What about slander or libel?

There's no doubt who it's from. She used a personal e-mail address from her home at night and then typed her name at the bottom. We knew anyway who it was from, it was like she was bragging and spitting in our faces.

She even forwarded a copy to the person who replaced her saying "enjoy your new job".

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
She has no legal obligation to keep a co-worker's personal information confidential, so it's not a breach of confidentiality in the legal sense. Sure, it may be an ethical breach, but you can't sue for that.

You have suffered no measurable damages so there is nothing to be gained from a slander or libel suit.

The fact that you know for certain who sent the letter does not give you any additional rights than you would have if it were questionable. Quite frankly, while I understand your feelings and do not blame you for being annoyed, the fact remains that you have nothing to sue for based on your post.

I repeat, let the boss handle it.

F

fuming

cbg, I guess I understand what you're saying but a question for you: If you were the boss how would you handle this?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If I were the boss I would contact the corporate attorney, show him the letter, and follow whatever advice the attorney gave me.

Fuming,

I understand your anger and shock or whatever. I think what she did is revolting. Sounds like a sadistic nut case.

But this is an example of the risk taken when saying things at work which can be used against a person or embarrassing/damaging if repeated. You mentioned her saying things which she had heard others say about the boss, each other, and something about you being jealous about someone's else's raise.

While she may have exaggerated, or added to it, you didn't dispute the veracity of the things she said in the e-mail (and I'm sure there is more she said that you're not posting/telling). Concerning confidentiality, from what you posted she didn't relay company secrets to outsiders. Sounds like gossip, heresay, and her opinion(s) and "jabs"/insults. But apparently she did not cross any legal line (threats, etc.)

The damage is done. She definitely went out like a lion (albeit cowardly via e-mail) but there is a lesson here for all concerned: Watch what you say/do because someone might be taking notes.

By the way, years ago a relative worked at a place where someone quit then sent several nasty letters to some people at the office. The boss had the company attorney send her a cease and desist letter. That's all that was done because she apparently got it out of her system and stopped.

As cbg said, let the boss handle it and stop thinking about it. It'll have to blow over. If someone else brings it up, change the subject or walk away.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not a great idea, klady. Could be seen as torturous interference with her employment. After all, our poster did not get fired or disciplined or have any negative consequences except annoyance. Besides, why should he lower himself to her level?

HomeGuru

cbg said:
Not a great idea, klady. Could be seen as torturous interference with her employment. After all, our poster did not get fired or disciplined or have any negative consequences except annoyance. Besides, why should he lower himself to her level?
**A: that is, unless the interference really was torture.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">